Tenants Insurance

Renting a property? Tenants Insurance covers more than just your personal belongings.

Tenants insurance for a renter will provide coverage for you and your family’s personal belongings, additional living expense and personal liability.

  • Personal property (contents) will replace or repair your personal belongings.
  • Additional Living Expense provides coverage when you cannot live in your residence due to damage caused by an insured peril like fire or water damage.  This can include the cost of a hotel or other rental locations and sometimes meals.
  • Personal Liability provides coverage against lawsuits when you accidentally cause bodily injury or property damage.  This includes your personal activities (example – accidently hit someone with your hockey stick) and the use of the premises.

Replacement Cost on contents provides the cost to repair or replace with new materials of similar kind and quality without deduction for depreciation.

It is extremely important you complete a personal property inventory in order to determine the replacement value of your contents.  You can locate a personal property inventory at the Insurance Bureau of Canada link below.  It will help you establish the replacement value of your personal property and provides a detailed list of your belongings in the event you have to submit a claim.  It is strongly recommended that you take photographs/videos of your contents and store offsite.

Many landlords are including a requirement in the lease to provide proof of insurance prior to occupying the rental unit.  Our brokerage can provide you with proof of insurance to satisfy the landlord’s requirements.

Let our brokerage help you obtain the coverage that suits your needs at a competitive price. We will apply all eligible discounts including an offer to bundle your property and auto insurance together and you may want to consider consenting to a credit check in order to reduce the overall property premium.